Admissions Policy 2017-18


The school will participate fully in the Local Authority’s Fair Access Protocol and the Local Authority’s Co-ordinated Admissions Schemes for starting school and applying for a place during the school year.  Details of these schemes are available on the Council’s website ( or on request from the Local Authority.  Closing dates and other details about the application process will be stated in those schemes.

Applying for a place

All applications for places in Reception or during the school year must be made direct to the applicant’s home authority on the appropriate application form.  The application form and supporting information will be available electronically on the Local Authority’s website or in paper form on request from the Local Authority. [There is no supplementary information form required by the Governing Body.]

Places in Reception will be allocated as full time from September. If you wish to ask for part-time admission, you must do so as soon as possible after receiving your notification of a place. You can request that your child attends part-time until they are of compulsory school age.

Allocation of places

Children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs or Education health care plan (EHCP) that names the school will be admitted regardless of the number on roll in the year group.

Children in Care who are directed to the school by the Local Authority (or Secretary of State in the case of academies) will be admitted to the school regardless of the number on roll in the year group.

Attendance at a particular nursery class or early years’ provider does not give a pupil any priority within the admissions policy for admission to a primary school.  Parents/carers must still submit an application for a place in Reception.

The published admission number (PAN) for Reception in 2017/18 will be 30.  Places will be allocated up to this number.  In the event that more applications are received than places available, the oversubscription criteria listed later in this document will be used to decide on allocations.


Applicants refused a place at the school have the right of appeal. Appeals are heard by an independent appeals panel [arranged by the Local Authority on behalf of the Governing Body]. Applicants will be able to appeal once for a place at a given school in any one school year unless any significant new information becomes available which was not available at the original hearing.  Details of how to appeal will be sent with any letter refusing a place and the timetable for appeals will be available on the Council’s website.


Waiting lists

If the school is oversubscribed, a waiting list will be held from when allocations have been made and parents/carers can request that their child is added to this list. A pupil's position on the list will be determined by the criteria set out below.  Children’s places on a waiting list are subject to change according to additional information received about applications or children being added to the list.  No priority is given to the length of time that a child has been on the list.

Oversubscription Criteria

In the event of there being more than 30 applications for places in reception for the 2017/18 academic year or more applications than places for any year group during the school year, the following oversubscription criteria will be used to prioritise applications, after the admission of children whose Statement of Special Educational Needs names the school:

  • Children in care and children who were in care but ceased to be so because they were adopted (or became subject to a residence order or special guardianship order) immediately after being in care.
  • Children who live within the designated area of the school, as defined by the Local Authority, or whose parents/carers can provide evidence that they will be living in the designated area of the school by the beginning of the autumn term of the 2017/2018 school year.
  • If there are more designated area children wanting places at a school than there are places available, the following criteria 3 to 5 will be used to decide which of these children should have priority for admission.  If there are still places available after all the designated area children have been allocated places, criteria 3 to 5 will be used to decide which of the remaining children should have priority for any spare places.


  • Children with an unequivocal professional recommendation from a doctor, school medical officer, educational psychologist or education welfare officer that non-placement at the school would not be in the best interest of the child.  Such recommendations must be made in writing and must give full supporting reasons and will be reviewed by the LA.
  • Children with siblings who will still be attending the school at the time of their admission.
  • All other children.


PDF Copies of both this year's and next year's Admissions Policies can be found at the bottom of the page.


Notes and definitions

Children in care

‘Children in care’ are also referred to as ‘looked after children’ and they are children who are in the care of the Local Authority.

Designated areas

Cornwall Council has divided the County into geographical areas.  Each of these areas is served by a specific primary school, or in some cases, groups of schools.  These areas are called ‘designated areas’ (you may also have heard these areas referred to as ‘catchment’ areas).  Your designated school will not always be the one nearest to your home address.  Maps are available for all designated areas online at: or by calling the School Admissions Team on 0300 1234 101 or emailing:

 If you are planning to move into the designated area of a school, your application for a place for your child at that school will not be given the priority accorded to designated area pupils without firm evidence of your new address and moving date, such as a copy of a signed and dated tenancy agreement or confirmation that contracts have been exchanged.

Professional recommendation for admission

If you think your child meets this criterion, as described in the Oversubscription Criteria, you must send the relevant written evidence to the Local Authority.


‘Siblings’ means brothers or sisters. They are defined as children with at least one natural or adoptive parent in common, living at the same or a different address. Children living permanently in the same household at the same address would also be counted as siblings, regardless of their actual relationship to each other. To qualify as a sibling a child must be on the roll of the school in question at the date of application, allocation and admission.


If any of the criteria outlined above leave more children with an equal claim than places available, priority will be given to the child who lives nearer to the preferred school.

Final tie-breaker

Should the tie-breakers above still leave children with an equal claim because distances are exactly the same, random allocation will be used to decide on priority. The school will use the Local Authority’s Random Allocation Protocol which is available on request.


Home to school distances used for tie-breaking will be measured by a straight-line measurement as determined by CAPITA One and supported by Cornwall Council’s chosen Geographical Information System (dataMap).  Measurements will be between your home address using Ordnance Survey’s AddressPoint dataset (usually the centre of the main building of the property) and the main gate of the school (as determined by Cornwall Council).]

Distances used to determine nearest school with room (i.e. where it is not possible to offer a place at a preferred school) and for establishing transport entitlements will be measured by the nearest available route as determined by the LA’s chosen Geographical Information System (dataMap).

Home address

Each child may have one registered address only for the purposes of determining priority for admission and transport entitlement. This address should be the place where the child is normally resident. If there is shared residence of the child or a query is raised regarding the validity of an address, it may be necessary to use the address of the person receiving child benefit for the child. If this is inconclusive, the registered address would be considered to be the address at which the child spends the majority of days during the school week. However, parents should settle any dispute prior to submitting only one application.

Multiple birth siblings

Where applications are received on behalf of ‘multiple birth siblings’ (i.e. twins, triplets, etc.) or siblings whose dates of birth place them in the same chronological year group, every effort will be made to offer places at the school, which may mean allocating places above the Published Admission Number (PAN) where that is possible.  It is possible to admit multiple birth siblings as ‘excepted pupils’ over the infant class size limit.  

Placements outside the normal age group

Parents may seek a place for their child outside of their normal age group, for example, if the child is gifted and talented or has experienced problems such as ill health. In addition, the parents of a summer born child may choose not to send that child to school until the September following their fifth birthday and may request that they are admitted out of their normal age group – to reception rather than year 1. Parents should contact the Headteacher in the first instance and the admission authority will make decisions on the basis of the circumstances of each case and in the best interests of the child concerned.’

 Admissions Policy 2017-18.pdfDownload
 Admissions Policy 2018-19.pdfDownload
Showing 1-2 of 2