Welcome to Year 2
Welcome to the Summer term in Year 2! We hope that you had a great Easter holiday. Please let us know if you managed to get to Wheal Martyn to find our minibeasts!
A snapshot of our Summer 1 unit ‘Sowing and Growing’ that we are delivering to cover the National Curriculum can be downloaded from the links on the right.
- There will continue to be regular Year 2 spellings given out to learn on a Monday with a test every Friday. Practice little and often is the best way and also going back over previous words that they have learnt. If your child is finding the spellings easy, get them to apply them in sentences and short paragraphs of writing. Remind them about punctuation!
- We would also ask that your child continues to read regularly at home. The Book Towers looked amazing last term and I was so impressed that the whole class got a pin badge! There are only 2 more occasions where children will be able to achieve a pin badge before going to KS2 where they do something different.
Bronze = Read 10+ books, Silver = Read 15+ books and Gold = read 20+ books.
- Your child will also continue to receive a piece of homework each week.
- As you know your child now has a weekly X Table and Division test each week on the iPads. Your child needs to know fluently their 10, 2 and 5 X Table and Division Facts. Lots of them can work them out using their fingers, but many do not know them off by heart so cannot instantly recall them. They also find the Division Facts harder. We had 2 100% certificates given out in Cup Assembly last half term. I would love to get some more children achieving this award as many other children were close. Remember there is also a progress certificate this half term for if your child gets higher than last half terms big test in the last week. Here are the tests your child will have each week:
- Could you let me know if it was useful having a text to let you know what times table test they were having each week. If it was helpful, I am happy to do it again.
Week 1 = 10 X Table + Division Facts
Week 2 = 2 X Table + Division Facts
Week 3 = 5 X Table + Division Facts
Week 4 = 2 and 5 X Table + Division Facts
Week 5 = 10, 2 and 5 X Table + Division Facts
Week 6 = END OF HALF TERM TEST = 25 QUESTIONS (100% certificates in Cup Assembly and this time those who improved from last time!)
Our PE times are Monday and Friday. Please could you remind your child to bring their correct kit on these days (or leave it in school for the half term). Our school PE kit is a red top, black shorts/leggings/jogging bottoms and plimsoles/trainers. If your child does not bring in their PE kit they will have to wear spare kit that the school will supply.
Please can we keep your child’s wellies and waterproofs in school this half term for our Sowing and Growing topic.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me by approaching me at the end of the day or by booking an appointment at the office.
We would love to have some more volunteer readers any afternoon you can spare. It doesn’t have to be every week or a whole afternoon. Let me know if you would be kind enough to volunteer.
A reminder that in May Year 2 will have their ‘Special Booklets’ and in June I will be finalising their end of key stage assessments. I look forward to talking to you more about this at parents evening.
We are looking forward to continuing to work with you and your child for the remainder of the year. Thank you so much for your continued support.
Miss Tonkin Mrs Wheeldon Mr Young Mrs Harrison
Year 2 Files
|Spring 1 Spellings|
|Spring 2 Spellings|
|Summer 1 Spellings|
|Year 2 Class Letter - Summer Term.pdf||Download|
|Year 2 Spellings - Summer 2 Week 1.pdf||Download|
|Year 2 Spellings - Summer 2 Week 2.pdf||Download|
|Year 2 Spellings - Summer 2 Week 3.pdf||Download|
|Year 2 Spellings - Summer 2 Week 4.pdf||Download|
|Year 2 Summer Term 1 Curriculum - Sowing and Growing.pdf||Download|
|Year 2 Summer Term 2 Curriculum - Carnival Time.pdf||Download|