Skip Navigation LinksAdmissions



The school will participate fully in the Local Authority’s Fair Access Protocol and

the Local Authority’s Co-ordinated Admissions Schemes for starting school and

applying for a place during the school year. Details of these schemes are

available on the Council’s website ( or on

request from the Local Authority. Closing dates and other details about the

application process will be stated in those schemes.

Applying for a place

All applications for places in Reception or during the school year must be made

direct to the applicant’s home authority on the appropriate application form. The

application form and supporting information will be available electronically on the

Local Authority’s website or in paper form on request from the Local Authority.

[There is no supplementary information form required by the Governing Body.]

Places in Reception will be allocated as full time from September. If you wish to

ask for part-time admission, you must do so as soon as possible after receiving

your notification of a place. You can request that your child attends part-time

until they are of compulsory school age.

Allocation of places

Children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs that names the school

will be admitted regardless of the number on roll in the year group.

Children in Care who are directed to the school by the Local Authority (or

Secretary of State in the case of academies) will be admitted to the school

regardless of the number on roll in the year group.

Attendance at a particular nursery class or early years provider does not give a

pupil any priority within the admissions policy for admission to a primary school.

Parents/carers must still submit an application for a place in Reception.

The published admission number (PAN) for Reception in 2016/17 will be 30.

Places will be allocated up to this number. In the event that more applications

are received than places available, the oversubscription criteria listed later in this

document will be used to decide on allocations.


Applicants refused a place at the school have the right of appeal. Appeals are

heard by an independent appeals panel [arranged by the Local Authority on

behalf of the Governing Body]. Applicants will be able to appeal once for a place

at a given school in any one school year unless any significant new information

becomes available which was not available at the original hearing. Details of

how to appeal will be sent with any letter refusing a place and the timetable for

appeals will be available on the Council’s website.

Waiting lists

If the school is oversubscribed, a waiting list will be held from when allocations

have been made and parents/carers can request that their child is added to this

list. A pupil's position on the list will be determined by the criteria set out below.

Children’s places on a waiting list are subject to change according to additional

information received about applications or children being added to the list. No

priority is given to the length of time that a child has been on the list.

Oversubscription Criteria

In the event of there being more than 30 applications for places in reception for

the 2016/17 academic year or more applications than places for any year group

during the school year, the following oversubscription criteria will be used to

prioritise applications, after the admission of children whose Statement of Special

Educational Needs names the school:

1. Children in care and children who were in care but ceased to be so because

they were adopted (or became subject to a residence order or special

guardianship order) immediately after being in care.

2. Children who live within the designated area of the school, as defined by the

Local Authority, or whose parents/carers can provide evidence that they will

be living in the designated area of the school by the beginning of the autumn

term of the 2016/2017 school year.

3. Children with an unequivocal professional recommendation from a doctor,

school medical officer, educational psychologist or education welfare officer

that non-placement at the school would not be in the best interest of the

child. Such recommendations must be made in writing and must give full

supporting reasons and will be reviewed by the LA.

4. Children with siblings who will still be attending the school at the time of their


5. All other children.

Notes and definitions

Children in care

‘Children in care’ are also referred to as ‘looked after children’ and they are

children who are in the care of the Local Authority.

Designated areas

Cornwall Council has divided the County into geographical areas. Each of these

areas is served by a specific primary school, or in some cases, groups of schools.

These areas are called ‘designated areas’ (you may also have heard these areas

referred to as ‘catchment’ areas). Your designated school will not always be the

one nearest to your home address. Maps are available for all designated areas

online at: or by calling the School Admissions

Team on 0300 1234 101 or emailing:

If you are planning to move into the designated area of a school, your application

for a place for your child at that school will not be given the priority accorded to

designated area pupils without firm evidence of your new address and moving

date, such as a copy of a signed and dated tenancy agreement or confirmation

that contracts have been exchanged.

Professional recommendation for admission

If you think your child meets this criterion, as described in the Oversubscription

Criteria, you must send the relevant written evidence to the Local Authority.


‘Siblings’ means brothers or sisters. They are defined as children with at least

one natural or adoptive parent in common, living at the same or a different

address. Children living permanently in the same household at the same address

would also be counted as siblings, regardless of their actual relationship to each

other. To qualify as a sibling a child must be on the roll of the school in question

at the date of application, allocation and admission.


If any of the criteria outlined above leave more children with an equal claim than

places available, priority will be given to the child who lives nearer to the

preferred school.

Final tie-breaker

Should the tie-breakers above still leave children with an equal claim because

distances are exactly the same, random allocation will be used to decide on

priority. The school will use the Local Authority’s Random Allocation Protocol

which is available on request.


Home to school distances used for tie-breaking will be measured by a straightline

measurement as determined by CAPITA One and supported by Cornwall

Council’s Geographical Information System (dataMap). Measurements will be

between your home address using Ordnance Survey’s AddressPoint dataset

(usually the centre of the main building of the property) and the main gate of the

school (as determined by Cornwall Council).]

Distances used to determine nearest school with room (i.e. where it is not

possible to offer a place at a preferred school) and for establishing transport

entitlements will be measured by the nearest available route as determined by

the LA’s Geographical Information System (dataMap).

Home address

Each child may have one registered address only for the purposes of determining

priority for admission and transport entitlement. This address should be the place

where the child is normally resident. If there is shared residence of the child or a

query is raised regarding the validity of an address, it may be necessary to use

the address of the person receiving child benefit for the child. If this is

inconclusive, the registered address would be considered to be the address at

which the child spends the majority of days during the school week. However,

parents should settle any dispute prior to submitting only one application.

Multiple birth siblings

Where applications are received on behalf of ‘multiple birth siblings’ (i.e. twins,

triplets, etc.) or siblings whose dates of birth place them in the same

chronological year group, every effort will be made to offer places at the school,

which may mean allocating places above the Published Admission Number (PAN)

where that is possible. It is possible to admit multiple birth siblings as ‘excepted

pupils’ over the infant class size limit.

Placements outside the normal age group

Parents may seek a place for their child outside of their normal age group, for

example, if the child is gifted and talented or has experienced problems such as

ill health. In addition, the parents of a summer born child may choose not to

send that child to school until the September following their fifth birthday and

may request that they are admitted out of their normal age group – to reception

rather than year 1. Parents should contact the Headteacher in the first instance

and the admission authority will make decisions on the basis of the

circumstances of each case and in the best interests of the child concerned.